Traveling During the Holiday SeasonNovember 2, 2017
Many auto accidents and injuries are caused by road rage. When people become aggressive behind the wheel, it can be destructive and can cause serious auto accidents. Here are some tips on how to deal with aggressive drivers.
- Ignore rude behavior such as insults and gestures. Reacting to these will only make the driver more angry and aggressive.
- Give the aggressive driver room to “leave.” Do not respond in any way other than by staying back.
- If you notice that another driver is speeding or driving erratically, stay away. Driving too close to them can cause an auto accident.
- Do not establish eye contact or engage with the other aggressive driver.
- Never try to teach someone a “lesson.” You cannot predict how the driver will react and the consequences can be deadly by causing an auto accident.
Here are some positive ways to handle road rage in other drivers as well as in yourself:
- Be tolerant and forgiving. Realize that everyone makes mistakes, including you.
- Try to be helpful and polite to every driver. It might help to think that some people are just having a really bad day.
- Work on your sense of humor. Doing so can help you take things more lightly.
- Relieve stress. Eating properly, getting enough rest, and exercising regularly can reduce stress levels thus making you a friendlier and tolerant driver.
R.E. López & Associates, P.C.